According to Missouri Instructions for Form MO 1040, “You do not have to file a Missouri return if you are not required to file a federal return.”
If required to file a federal return, you may not have to file a Missouri return if:
- You are a resident with less than $1,200 of Missouri adjusted gross income
- You are a nonresident with less than $600 of Missouri source income
- The amount of your Missouri adjusted gross income is less than the standard deduction amount for your filing status.
- Single or Married Filing Separately, $12,000
- Head of Household, $18,000
- Married Filing Combined or Qualifying Widow(er), $24,000
You must use the same filing status for your Missouri return that you used on your federal return.
For more information, see