The Middle Class Tax Refund is a one-time payment to provide relief to Californians.
If you are eligible, you will automatically receive a payment. Payments are expected to be issued between October 2022 and January 2023.
How do I know if I am eligible for the Middle Class Tax Refund?
You are eligible if you:
- Filed your 2020 California tax return by October 15, 2021
- Meet the California adjusted gross income (CA AGI) limits.
- Were not eligible to be claimed as a dependent in the 2020 tax year
- Were a California resident for six months or more of the 2020 tax year
- Are a California resident on the date the payment is issued
How much is the payment?
Please refer to the tables listed on the California Franchise Tax Board website to find your payment amount.
When will I receive the payment?
California residents can expected to receive payments between October 2022 and January 2023 if you meet the eligibility requirements above.
How will I receive the payment?
Generally, if you filed electronically and received your 2020 tax refund by direct deposit, your Middle Class Tax Refund will be received the same way. Otherwise, you will receive your payment on a pre-paid debit card.