New to the TaxSlayer program is the ability to import your 1099-B into your account if you purchase the TaxSlayer Classic, Premium, or Self-Employed package! You will need to download our CSV file and make some adjustments to upload your transactions. This feature is not available in the Free Edition.
Let's get started!
Step One: Access the Capital Gains and Loss menu
- Federal Section
- Select My Forms
- Capital Gains and Losses
- Capital Gains and Loss Items.
Step Two: Choose Upload a CSV of sales and continue
- Click on the link (Download Template) at the bottom of the screen.
- A new window will open with an Excel Document for the CSV file.
- Open the file and remove the columns you do not need. For example: If you are filing single, delete the rows for Spouse (S) and Joint (J) transactions.
Don't see the link?
If you already have transactions uploaded or manually entered, click on +Add a Capital Gains Transaction.
Step Three: Input your information
- Copy the information needed for your transactions from your spreadsheet. Only the information in the downloaded file can be uploaded. Remove any other information before uploading the document.
Our .csv file will allow you to upload:
- Owner (J for joint, T for taxpayer, or S for spouse)
- No special characters
- Must be between 3 and 30 characters
- Date Acquired (XX/XX/XXXX)
- Date Sold (XX/XX/XXXX)
- Sales Price (No decimal points or commas)
- Cost (No decimal points or commas)
Your .csv should be formatted as shown in the picture below:
Step Four: Upload the .csv file
- Once you are finished importing your data into the .csv file, select Upload Completed CSV at the bottom of the screen
- You can drag and drop the csv file or you can click on the screen to choose a file from your computer to upload. Select Upload.
- Once completed, you will receive a message if there are any errors and what row of the excel document the error is on..
- You may upload more than one file. If you upload the same file twice, the information will be duplicated- it will not overwrite the last upload.
- Any transactions that require information other than what is in the template will need to be entered manually.
- The Delete All button will delete all the transaction entered to allow you to begin again.
- You can only import 500 transactions with each upload