What does this rejection code mean?
According to the IRS, a dependent listed on your return has already been claimed on another return as either the taxpayer or the spouse.
How do I fix my return?
To correct your return:
- Check the Social Security Number of the dependent to make sure it has been recorded correctly
- If you cannot claim the person as your dependent
- Remove the dependent form the return and e-file again
- Basic Information
- Dependents/Qualifying Person
- Check the box "This qualifying child is NOT YOUR DEPENDENT."
- E-file the return.
- If you can claim the person as a dependent on your return
- Print, sign and mail the return. The IRS will review both returns to make a determination on who should be claiming the person in question. The IRS may ask for documents to prove the person can be claimed as a dependent on your return. The IRS mailing address can be found on the IRS website according to your state.