The rejection code R0000-500-01 indicates that the name and Social Security Number (SSN) listed for the first person on the return does not match the IRS records.
How do I correct the error?
Verify your information
Check the name and SSN listed on your return.
- Select Basic Information from the navigation menu
- Select Personal Information
- Select General Information
- Verify name and SSN are correct
Contact Social Security Administration
If the name and SSN are correct, contact the Social Security Administration (SSA).
- You can reach the Social Security Administration at 1 (800) 772-1213
- If the SSA needs to update the information on file, it may take up to 10-15 days for the IRS to update their records. You may attempt to E-file after they update their records.
What if my return continues to be rejected?
- You can view/print your return from within your account by logging into your account and selecting the “Summary/Print” tab from the navigation bar. Next, select "View Return" to view, print or save a PDF copy of your return.
- If you do not see an option for "View Return", select the "Show Details" dropdown. To view, print or save your PDF, you must first pay your filing fees. You can do this by selecting the "Pay Now" option.
- After you print the return, make sure to sign and date before you mail it. Include all supporting documents (W-2s, 1099s, etc.) with return. Visit the IRS website to find where to mail the return.