The State of Kansas has issued the following guidance regarding income tax filing deadlines for individuals:
- The 2020 filing deadline has been extended until May 17th
- Kansas will waive late payment penalties for payments remitted by May 17th. A waiver request is not required. Payments received after the My 17th deadline are subject to interest and penalties.
- First quarter estimated tax payments are still due on April 15th
- Kansas allows for an automatic 6 month extension to file a return when the IRS extends the federal filing date. Kansas filers do not need to request an extension to file the state return without incurring a late filing penalty if filed by the federal deadline of May 17th.
- The deadline for filing 2020 homestead or property tax relief claims has been extended to May 17, 2021