The State of Indiana has issued the following guidance regarding income tax filing deadlines for individuals:
- The filing deadline has been extended until May 17, 2021.
- The payment deadline is also May 17, 2021. Penalties and interest on underpayments will be calculated from that date
- First quarter estimated tax payments remain due on April 15th
- If you do not have a federal extension of time to file, and you cannot file by the April 15, 2021 due date, complete and file an Application for Extension of Time to File (Form IT-9)* on or before April 15. This extends the due date to Nov. 15, 2021.
- If you have a federal extension of time to file, you automatically have an extension of time to file with Indiana. You must file your 2020 state tax return by Nov. 15, 2021, and pay any balance due with that filing. While interest is due on any amount paid after the original April 15, 2021 due date, penalty will be waived if both of the following conditions are met:
- You paid at least 90 percent of the tax expected to be owed by the original April 15 due date, and
- The remaining balance due is paid in full by Nov. 15.