In August of 2020, the IRS announced they would begin accepting e-filed amended returns for taxpayers using commercial tax-filing software such as ours. However, there are some restrictions. Please review our FAQs below for more information.
How many Amended Returns can be filed electronically?
Filers will be allowed to electronically file only one "accepted" Amended Return using our program.
What are some reasons that an Amended Return cannot be filed electronically?
Amended Returns must be filed by paper for the following reasons:
- Only current year returns can be amended electronically at this time. Amended Returns for any other tax years or tax types must be filed by paper.
- There must be a record of an "original" electronically filed return for the current year. If the original Tax Year 2021 return was filed by paper, it must be amended by paper.
- If the Primary Social Security number is different from the one provided on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.
- If the Spouse's Social Security number (if applicable) is different from the one provided on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.
- If the Filing Status differs from the Filing Status on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.
- If no numerical values have changed, the amended return cannot be e-filed.
- You cannot e-file an amended return to update your banking information, your mailing address or your filing status.
Can I file my Amended return electronically for previous tax years?
No, we only offer the ability to electronically file current year amended returns. Amended Returns for any other tax years must be filed by paper.
Can I e-file my state amended return?
State amended returns cannot be e-filed. The state amended return will need to be printed, signed and mailed with the supporting documents to the state.
You can find the mailing addresses for the state amended returns here.
How will I get my refund?
Direct deposit is not allowed at this time for Amended Returns. You will receive a mailed check to the address on your return.
Where do I mail my payment?
A Payment Voucher (1040-V) should be used when mailing a paper check for payment made on an electronically filed Amended Return. Please use Form 1040-V instructions which provides the mailing address for sending paper checks.
How can I check on the status of my electronic filed Amended Return?
If you file your amended return electronically, you can use the Where's My Amended Return? online tool to check the status of your amended return. Where's My Amended Return? updates once a day, usually at night. You can check it daily.
How soon will the Where's My Amended Return? application be updated for checking the status of an electronically filed Amended Return?
Taxpayers can check the status of a paper or electronically filed Amended Return three weeks after filing the return.
Can I get the status of an amended return for multiple tax years?
Where's My Amended Return? can get you the status of your amended returns for the current tax year and up to three prior tax years.
How long will it take to process an amended return?
Amended Tax Return can take up to 16 weeks to process once the IRS receives it.
Some amended returns take longer than 16 weeks for several reasons. Delays may occur when the return needs further review because it:
- Has errors
- Is incomplete
- Isn't signed
- Is returned to you requesting more information
- Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation
- Is affected by identity theft or fraud
Delays in processing also can happen when an amended return needs:
- Routing to a specialized area
- Clearance by the bankruptcy area within the IRS
- Review and approval by a revenue office
- Review of an appeal or a requested reconsideration of an IRS decision
The IRS will contact you if they need more information to process your amended return.