Certain Amended Returns must be filed by paper for the following reasons:
- Only Tax Year 2021 1040 and 1040-SR returns can be amended electronically at this time. Amended Returns for any other tax years or tax types must be filed by paper.
- There must be a record of an "original" electronically filed return for Tax Year 2021. If the original Tax Year 2021 return was filed by paper, it must be amended by paper.
- If the Primary Social Security number is different from the one provided on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.
- If the Spouse's Social Security number (if applicable) is different from the one provided on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.
- If the Filing Status differs from the Filing Status on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.
- If the refund amount on the amended return is $0, you will not be able to e-file the amended return.
- You cannot e-file an amended return to update your banking information, your mailing address or your filing status.
If you are not able to e-file your federal amended return, you will need to print, sign and mail the amended return to the IRS. Check the IRS website for the mailing address for the federal amended return.
See our article E-filing Amended Returns for more information regarding e-filing your Amended Return.