The State of Alabama issued guidance on March 18 regarding income tax filing deadlines for individuals:
- Alabama has extended the filing deadline to May 17th.
- Alabama will waive late payment penalties for payments remitted by May 17th. A waiver request is not required.
- Interest will accrue on any payments not made by April 15th. The state will not waive the interest on payments made after the April 15th deadline even if made by May 17th.
- First quarter estimated tax payments are still due on April 15th
- Alabama allows for an automatic 6 month extension to file an Alabama return when the IRS extends the federal filing date. Alabama filers do not need to request an extension to file the state return without incurring a late filing penalty if filed by the federal deadline of May 17th.