The state of Delaware has issued the following guidance regarding income tax filing deadlines for individuals:
- The filing deadline for all taxpayers filing on a calendar year basis: April 30th, 2024.
- The payment deadline is April 30th, 2024. Penalties and interest on underpayments will be calculated from this date, even if a taxpayer's time to file is extended.
- The application for an automatic extension, Form PIT-EXT, may be filed no later than April 30th, 2024, to obtain an extension for October 15, 2024.
You must submit the following items to the Division of Revenue to allow the filing extension:
- A completed copy of Form PIT-EXT; and
- Your payment of any balance of tax liability expected to be due for the tax year 2023.
NOTE: The application for an automatic extension, Form PIT-EXT, may be filed on-line on the Delaware Division of Revenue's portal at tax.delaware.gov. Payments for estimated taxes owed to the state may also be paid on the portal using either direct pay with a checking or savings account or paid by credit / debit card.
Be sure to select to pay your balance owed by "mailed check" on the TaxSlayer e-file process to avoid double payment with the state. The TaxSlayer program will only show the original balance calculated and will not reflect any payments made separately from the software.