Yes! You can e-file your 2020 amended federal return.
To start amending your return, select E-file in the main navigation menu. Then, select the Amended Return menu item that appears below it.
Once you have completed your amended return, select Continue below the Print button to finish the e-filing process.
Can I e-file my state amended return?
State amended returns cannot be e-filed. The state amended return will need to be printed, signed and mailed with the supporting documents to the state.
You can find the mailing addresses for the state amended returns here.
What are some reasons that an Amended Return cannot be filed electronically?
Amended Returns must be filed by paper for the following reasons:
- Only Tax Year 2019 and 2020 1040 and 1040-SR returns can be amended electronically at this time. Amended Returns for any other tax years or tax types must be filed by paper.
- There must be a record of an "original" electronically filed return for Tax Year 2019 or Tax Year 2020. If the original Tax Year 2019 or Tax Year 2020 return was filed by paper, it must be amended by paper.
- If the Primary Social Security number is different from the one provided on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.
- If the Spouse's Social Security number (if applicable) is different from the one provided on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.
- If the Filing Status differs from the Filing Status on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.
- If the refund amount on the amended return is $0, the amended return cannot be e-filed.
- You cannot e-file an amended return to update your banking information, your mailing address or your filing status.
How can I check on the status of my electronic filed Amended Return?
If you file your amended return electronically, you can use the Where's My Amended Return? online tool to check the status of your amended return. Where's My Amended Return? updates once a day, usually at night. You can check it daily.