The program allows you to make the following payment entries on the Montana return:
- Any state tax payment made with your 2022 extension
- Portion of your 2022 Montana refund you wish to apply to your 2023 state return
- Montana Mineral Royalty Withholdings
- Montana Pass through Entity Withholdings
- 529 contribution from state refund amount
Where can I make the entry?
To enter payments on your Montana return go to
- State section
Can I apply my State refund to next years taxes?
Yes, if you have a State refund on your 2022 tax return you can enter part or all of the refund amount to be applied to your 2023 tax liability.
Can I contribute my State refund to a 529 Plan?
Yes, if you have a State refund on your 2022 tax return you can elect to contribute part or all of the refund to up to two 529 (or 529A) accounts.
You may only complete this Schedule if you are due a Montana State refund with your 2022 return. To use this form, you must already have a 529 or 529A account open. For 529A accounts, there is a minimum deposit amount of $25 per account.