Generally, the federal standard deduction amounts increase slightly from year to year. This year is no different.
2022 Standard Deduction
The standard deductions amounts have increased as follows:
- Single and Married Filing Separate - $12,950
- Head of Household - $19,400
- Married Filing Joint and Qualifying Widow(er) - $25,900
Age 65 and older or blind
The additional standard deduction for taxpayers age 65 and older and/or blind is:
- Single and Head of Household - $1,750
- Married filing Joint, Married Filing Separate and Qualifying Widow(er) - $1,400
The standard deduction for a dependent claimed on another's return is:
- $1,150 OR
- $400 plus the dependent's earned income (not to exceed the standard deduction amount for their filing status)
To view Standard Deduction amounts for prior years, please click here.