Yes, Wisconsin allows you to itemize on your state return even if you claimed the standard deduction on the federal return.
Where do I enter this?
You must enter the itemized deductions into the federal section to have the information pulled to the state return.
What else do I need to know?
- If you are printing and mailing your state return, you must include Schedule A from the Federal Return to claim the itemized deductions. Schedule A will not populate within the printed PDF if you chose the standard deduction on the federal return. To make the Schedule A populate:
- Go to the Federal Section
- Itemized Deductions
- Use Standard or Itemized Deduction
- Force to use Itemized Deduction (this will impact the federal return so print the federal return first)
- After making this change, go to Summary/Print to print the state return.
- If you are filing electronically, this form will be automatically sent to the state.
- Not all items on the federal return can be used for the state itemized deduction. See the WI Instructions for details.