The Property Tax/Rent/Heat Credit rebate, also known as the "PTC Rebate", is available every year.
What are the requirements?
- Resided in Colorado the entire year.
- Your total income from all sources was less than $16,925 for single filers and $22,858 for married filing jointly.
- As of December 31, 2022, you meet one of the criteria below:
- Age 65 or older
- A surviving spouse, age 58 or older. If you were divorced before your spouse died, you are not considered a surviving spouse
- A disabled person of any age who was unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity for medical reasons. You also must have qualified for full benefits from January 1 - December 31, 2022 from a bona fide public or private plan or source, based solely on your disability.
- You paid property tax, rent or heating bills during this PTC period.
- You were not claimed as a dependent on someone else’s federal income tax return.
How much is the rebate?
The actual rebate amount is based on the taxpayer's income and expenses. The rebate amount can be up to $1,044 a year for applicants.
How do I apply?
If you have received rebates for the last two years, you can file the form electronically for free on the Colorado website. If you need to file by paper, you can complete the form in your account and print and mail the application to the state.
When will I receive my rebate?
The rebate is paid based on when your application is processed.
How can I check my rebate status?
- Go to Revenue Online.
- In the "Where's My Refund?" box, click on "Colorado Property Tax, Rent and Heat Rebate (PTC)" .
- On the next screen, enter your Social Security number.
- On the same page, also enter your PTC Rebate amount or your Letter ID number.
- The rebate amount you enter should be the amount of the current installment that you are expecting, not the full rebate amount for the year.
- Your Letter ID number can be found on a letter from the Department, if you received one. It begins with the letter L, then has numbers after it. Enter the full number, including the "L."
The system will not show the your full rebate amount. It will only show the status of your most current rebate installment.
Where do I add this to the program?
If you wish to create the form within your Colorado return:
- State Section
- Miscellaneous Forms
- Property Tax/Rent/Heat Rebate
This form will not be e-filed and must be printed and mailed.