In order to file Head of Household on your California return, you will need to meet a series of requirements:
- You must be unmarried or be considered unmarried/not in a Registered Domestic Partnership
- You must have provided more than half of the upkeep of your household for more than half of the year
- You must have qualifying dependents
- Your qualifying dependents must not file a Married Filing Jointly state or federal return
- If the dependent has income in excess of $4,300, you cannot claim them for Head of Household purposes
- You were a U.S. citizen or legal resident for the whole year.
In order to attach Form 3532 (Head of Household) to your California return, you will have to select Filing Status 4, Head of Household, in the Basic Information section of the program. Then, please navigate to:
- State Section
- Basic Information
- Complete California Form 3532 (Head of Household)
Please review the instruction links provided to ensure you do qualify to file this form for your California return.