To order a transcript online, visit the IRS website. You can get your transcript by mail (approximately 1 week) or Online (approximately 15 minutes).
To order the transcript by mail, you will need to have:
- Your SSN, date of birth and mailing address from your latest tax return
To order the transcript online, you will need to have:
- Your SSN, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from latest tax return
- Access to your email account
- Credit card number or Account number from an auto loan, mortgage, home equity loan or home equity line of credit
- A mobile phone with your name on the account (Skype, Google Voice or similar virtual phones may not be used. Pay As You Go phones may not be used. Phone number must be US based)
Beginning in December of 2018, the IRS has a new format for transcripts. To protect your information from identity theft, the IRS will mask or redact certain information on the transcript.
The new transcript format will have:
- Last four of any social security numbers listed
- Last four of any EIN listed
- Last four of any account or telephone numbers listed
- First four characters of the last name
- First four characters of the business name
- First six characters of the address (includes spaces)
- All money amounts
Please visit our Knowledgebase for additional information about the new transcript format and Customer File Number.
First time users will need to create an account to order a transcript.
First you will be asked to enter your name and email address. A confirmation code will be sent to the email address. The confirmation code is valid for 15 minutes only. Enter the code into the IRS website. You will be directed to continue to enter your personal information.
The IRS has implemented more security features to help safeguard your information. On the next page, you will be asked to verify some financial information. This could be a credit card number, an auto loan number, a mortgage account number or a home equity line of credit account number. If you cannot provide this information, you will not be able to use the online transcript tool. However, you can still order a copy of your transcript online to be mailed to your home.
Next, the IRS asks that you verify your phone number. The phone number must be associated with your name. The IRS will send a six digit text to this number. Enter the code into the screen and click Continue.
You will be asked to create your user profile. This will be used each time you access the Transcript Tool. Create a Username and Password. The password must:
- be between 8 and 20 characters long
- contain at last one numeric and one special character
- contain at least one uppercase and one lowercase letter
- matching password must be re-entered
Enter your email address and provide the IRS with a Site Phrase and Site Image that you will recognize when you sign in.
After entering all the information required, the IRS will email you a copy of the tax transcript to the email address you provided.