If, during the tax year, you made energy saving improvements to your home in the US, both the principal residences and second homes qualify. The homes must be owned and used by you during 2020.
Energy improvements to rental property do not qualify the owner for the credit. The improvements to rental property can be depreciated.
The home improvements for the 2020 Residential Energy credit should fall into one of these categories:
- Solar panels
- Solar powered hot water heaters
- Wind turbines
- Geothermal heat-pumps
- Fuel cells
- Insulation Material or System
- Exterior Doors exceeding 6.0 Energy Star
- Metal or Pigmented Coated Roofs
- Exterior Windows or Skylights
- Electric Heat pump
- High Efficiency Central Air
- Natural Gas, propane, or oil water heater
- Biomass fuel stove