Beginning in tax year 2019, Schedule 5 will be combined with Schedule 3. Schedule 3 Additional Credits and Payments is listed into Part I Nonrefundable Credits and Schedule 3 Part II Other Payments and Refundable Credits which make up what was the old Schedule 5 entries for tax year 2018. The newly revised Schedule 3 will be attached to the 1040 Form or the new 1040-SR Form if entries are made on Schedule 3.
Schedule 3 has the following Part I - Nonrefundable Credits. If entries are made on Schedule 3, the form would accompany Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR. Line items 1-6 listed below.
- Foreign tax credit (Attach Form 1116 if required)
- Credit for child and dependent care expenses (Attach Form 2441)
- Education credits from Form 8863, line 19
- Retirement savings contributions credit (Attach Form 8880
- Residential energy credit (Attach Form 5695)
- Other credits from Forms 3800, 8801, other.
Before the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act reform was passed, Nonrefundable Credits was reported on lines 48 through 51 and lines 53 and 54 on Form 1040.
Schedule 3 has the additional information added in 2019, Part II - Other Payments and Refundable Credits. If entries are made on Schedule 3 the form would be attached to the Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR. Line items 8-13 listed below.
- Net premium tax credit. Attach Form 8962
- Amount paid with extension of time to file
- Excess social security and tier 1 RRTA tax withheld
- Credit for federal tax on fuels, Attach Form 4136
- Other payment or refundable credits:
- Form 2439
- Qualified sick and family leave credits from Schedule H and Form 7202
- Health Coverage tax credit from Form 8885
- Deferral for certain Schedule H or SE filers
Before the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, Other Payments and Refundable Credits were reported on lines 65, 69, 70, 71, 72 and 73 on Form 1040.