Schedule 1 has the following Additional Income and Adjustments to Income. If entries are made on Schedule 1, the form would accompany Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR.
Beginning in tax year 2019 the Schedule 1 is broken into Part I Additional Income and Part II Adjustments to Income. Numbering and items listed in each part have also changed.
- Taxable refunds, credits, or offsets of state and local income taxes
- Alimony received (date of divorce or separation agreement)
- Business income or loss (Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ)
- Capital gain or loss (Attach Schedule D, if required-Starting in 2019 list directly on the Form 1040 or 1040-SR Form not part of Schedule 1.)
- Other gains or losses (Attach Form 4797)
- Rental real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corps, trusts, etc. (Attach Schedule E)
- Farm income or loss (Attach Schedule F)
- Unemployment compensation
- Other Income (list type and amount)
Before the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act reform was passed, Additional Income was on lines 12 through 21 on Form 1040. During tax year 2018, Additional Income was listed on Schedule 1 lines 10 through 21 and attached to the Form 1040. During tax year 2019, Additional Income is listed on Schedule 1, lines 1 through 8 and will be attached to Form 1040 or Form 1040 SR.
Adjustments to Income:
- Educator expenses
- Certain business expenses of reservists, performing artists, and fee-basis government officials (Attach Form 2106)
- Health savings account deduction (Attach Form 8889)
- Moving expenses for members of the Armed Forces (Attach Form 3903)
- Deductible part of self-employment tax (Attach Schedule SE)
- Self-employed SEP, SIMPLE, and qualified plans
- Self-employed health insurance deduction
- Penalty on early withdrawal of savings
- Alimony paid (Recipient’s SSN and date of original divorce or separation agreement)
- IRA deduction
- Student loan interest deduction
Before the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act reform was passed, Additional Income was on lines 12 through 21 on Form 1040. During tax year 2018 Adjustments to Income were listed on Schedule 1 Lines 23 through 33 and attached to Form 1040. During the 2019 tax year, Adjustments to Income are listed on Schedule 1 lines 10 through 20 and will be attached to Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR.