Before you begin your tax return, you will want to make sure you have the following items:
- Your Prior Year Return (You will need the AGI unless you electronically filed an accepted return with us using the same username as last year.)
- Your Social Security Number (Spouse's also if married filing joint OR separate)
- Your Dependent's Social Security Number
- Your tax documents you received in the mail. These include W-2s, 1099s, IRA information, Medical Savings Account information, Stock Sales (1099-B) etc.
- Your receipts. These include amounts paid for medical and dental if you intend to itemize. If you are self-employed or an independent contractor, you will need all of your records to complete the Schedule C or E. Amounts paid for Real estate taxes and Mortgage Interest (only if you intend to itemize).
Please note that, beginning in tax year 2018, the standard deduction was increased. This may make some individuals that normally itemize their return, unable to itemize.