The IRS allows every taxpayer, based on your filing status, to deduct a flat dollar amount from your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI).
2021 Standard Deduction Amounts:
- Single or Married Filing Separately (MFS) $12,550
- Married Filing Joint (MFJ) or Qualified Widow(er) $25,100
- Head of Household (HOH) $18,800
2021 Additional age 65 or older, or blind, per person, per event:
- Married Filing Joint, Qualifying Widow(er), or Married Filing Separate $1,350
- Single or Head of Household $1,700
For a complete list of prior year Standard Deductions, visit our Knowledgebase Article.