The Senior Citizens Property Tax Deferral Program is not claimed on your tax return. Visit the state website to file the necessary forms.
To participate in the program, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You are 65 or older in the year you apply. If married, one of you is 65 or older and the other is at least 62.
- Your household income is $96,000 or less.
- You have owned and lived in your home for the last 5 years.
- Your home has been homesteaded for 5 years.
- You do not have a reverse mortgage, a life estate, or any state or federal liens on your property.
- Other liens against your property are less than 75% of the estimated market value.
The amount of tax you pay is decided the year you join the program. The maximum amount of property tax you pay will be 3% of your total household income.
Please click here for additional instruction about this credit.
Special Homestead Classification for certain persons who are blind or disabled.
The Special Homestead Classification (class 1b) provides a reduced property tax classification rate on the first $50,000 of market value of a qualifying person’s homestead.