When you e-file, you can make a payment with your extension by providing your bank information and having the amount indicated withdrawn from your account.
Pay using Bank Account (filed with return)
To make a payment using your bank account within the program:
- Federal Section
- Miscellaneous Forms
- Application for Extension
- Complete the necessary information
- 'Go to Extension Payment'.
- Enter the amount you wish to pay with your extension
- E-file and select 'File Extension' to e-file the return
- Be sure to enter your extension payment when you e-file the return
Pay on IRS website
If you do not wish to use your bank account, you can go to the IRS website and pay by credit card. Additional fees do apply. Check the IRS for complete information.
Pay by check
You can also choose to pay the amount due by check. Print and mail your Form 4868 with the payment - even if you electronically filed your extension. The completed paper Form 4868 will be used as a payment voucher. With the payment and voucher, note that you originally e-filed your extension request.
An extension to file your return is NOT an extension of time to pay the amount owed. The IRS still requires payment by the April deadline to avoid any interest or penalties from accruing. Please be sure to make any payment by the IRS deadline.