The Online Payment Agreement (OPA) is a web-based application on the IRS website that allows taxpayers who owe $50,000 or less in combined tax, penalties, and interest to self-qualify, apply for, and receive immediate notification of approval.
Why should I apply online?
If you apply online, you will receive an immediate response whether the payment plan has been approved. When you file an Installment Agreement with your return, the IRS will send you a letter informing you if the plan has been approved.
What information do I need to apply online?
- Name exactly as it appears on your most recently filed tax return
- Valid e-mail address
- Address from most recently filed tax return
- Date of birth
- Filing status
- Your Social Security Number or Individual Tax ID Number (ITIN)
- Based on the type of agreement requested, you may also need the balance due amount
- To confirm your identity, you will need:
- financial account number or
- mobile phone registered in your name or
- activation code received by postal mail (takes 5 to 10 business days)
Can I edit my Online Payment Agreement?
Yes. You can make the following changes online:
- Change your monthly payment amount
- Change your monthly payment due date
- Convert an existing agreement to a Direct Debit agreement
- Change the bank routing and account number on a Direct Debit agreement
- Reinstate after default
You can also view the following details of your current payment plan
- Type of agreement
- Due date
- Amount you need to pay
Log into the Online Payment Agreement tool using the Apply/Revise button on the IRS website.
How do I know if the IRS has accepted my Installment Agreement?
When you make an installment agreement through our program, the IRS will generally respond to your request within 30 days of receipt of your request via mail to let you know if it was accepted or rejected. Once approved, an IRS agent may contact you to request your financial records to verify the amounts you have agreed to pay.
You can view more information regarding this topic by visiting the IRS website here.