The New York property tax relief credit reduces your property tax burden if you are a qualifying homeowner. The state of New York will automatically send you a check if you qualify.
To be eligible, you must:
* live in a School district that is complying with the New York State property tax cap (see School District Compliance on the State website)
* receive either the Basic or Enhanced STAR exemption of credit
* have an income of $275,000 or less, AND
* have paid school property taxes in 2018
For more information about qualifying for the credit, visit the State website.
To claim the property tax relief credit on your tax return
If you received a check in 2018 for one or more of the following credits
* property tax freeze
* Property tax relief credit
* STAR credit
You do not need to do anything on your 2018 federal and New York State income tax return UNLESS you meet one of the following conditions:
* If you itemized your deductions on your return, reduce the deduction for real estate taxes paid by the amount of the credit received
* If you are a Yonkers resident, go to the State Section Basic Information Did you receive a property tax freeze credit? answer 'Yes' and enter the amount in the next line.