The Massachusetts Circuit Breaker tax credit is a refundable credit for senior citizens based on the real estate taxes paid on Massachusetts property owned/rented and used as the primary residence. Maximum credit allowed for the tax year is $1,100.
Who Is Eligible for the Credit?
- Massachusetts residents age 65 or older by December 31
- Massachusetts return must be filed
- Massachusetts property must be owned/rented and occupied as primary home
- Massachusetts income not more than:
- $58,000 for Single
- $73,000 for Head of Household
- $88,000 for Married filing Joint (married filing separate does not qualify for the credit)
- Homeowners- Massachusetts property tax plus 1/2 the water and sewer expenses must exceed 10% of total Massachusetts income for the year
- Renters- 1/4 of your annual Massachusetts rent must be more than 10% of your total Massachusetts income for the year
For additional information pertaining to the Senior Circuit Breaker Tax Credit, please here.