The Massachusetts Circuit Breaker tax credit is a refundable credit for senior citizens based on the real estate taxes paid on Massachusetts property owned/rented and used as the primary residence. Maximum credit allowed for the tax year is $1,150.
Who is eligible for this credit?
- Massachusetts residents age 65 or older by January 1, 2021
- Massachusetts return must be filed with the Senior Circuit Breaker Credit attached
- Massachusetts property must be owned/rented and occupied as primary home
- Massachusetts income not more than:
- $61,000 for Single
- $76,000 for Head of Household
- $92,000 for Married filing Joint (married filing separate does not qualify for the credit)
- Homeowners- Massachusetts property tax plus 1/2 the water and sewer expenses must exceed 10% of total Massachusetts income for the year
- Renters- 25% of your annual Massachusetts rent must be more than 10% of your total Massachusetts income for the year
To enter this credit within the program, please go to:
- State section
- Massachusetts Return
- Senior Circuit Breaker Credit - Schedule CB
For additional information, please refer to the instructions for MA Form 1.