Generally, you are allowed a deduction for most of the medical expenses that you paid during the tax year.
You can include:
- Insurance premiums paid with after-tax dollars
- Co-pay amounts
- Amounts that are not paid by insurance due to deductibles
- Expenses for eyeglasses, hearing aids, crutches, etc.
- Prescription co-pays
What am I not allowed to deduct as a medical or dental expense?
You cannot include:
- Any amounts paid by an insurance company or other source
- Insurance premiums paid with pre-tax dollars