Our program automatically calculates the Child Tax Credit and the Additional Child Tax Credit based on the dependents and income entered into your account.
Who can be considered a Qualifying Child?
A qualifying child for this credit is someone who:
- Is claimed as your dependent,
- Child must have a SSN (ITIN not allowed for Child Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit)
- Was under age 17 at the end of the tax year
- Child did not provide more than half of his or her own support for the year
- Child lived with you for more than half of the year
- Child did not file a joint tax return for the year (or files only to claim a refund of taxes withheld or estimated tax paid)
- Is your son, daughter, adopted child, grandchild, stepchild or eligible foster child, your sibling, step-sibling or their descendant, and
- Is a U.S. citizen or resident alien.
Provided below is a comparison for tax years 2021 through 2023.
Child Tax Credit
|Tax Year 2022 & 2023
|Tax Year 2021 only
|How much is the credit?
|How do I claim the credit?
|Automatically calculated and included on tax return.
For more information covered in IRS Instructions for Schedule 8812, click here.