You may receive a 1099-G if you received a refund of state or local taxes. If you itemized deductions on your federal return in the year you received the refund, all or a portion of that refund may be taxable.
- amount of the refund
- amount of total state tax from line 5d of the Schedule A (if you itemized)
- amount of last year's itemized deductions (if you itemized)
- the filing status for last year
Check the boxes if any of the following apply:
- age 65 and older deduction was applied last year
- blind deduction was applied last year
If you filed as Married Filing Separate and were forced to itemize because your spouse itemized, enter the amount of the state tax refund. If this does not apply to you, skip this section.