If you are claimed as a dependent on another tax return, you are required to report to the IRS that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return for the same tax year.
To locate this area within your account, follow these steps is the program:
- Basic Information - from the navigation bar
- Personal Information
- Additional Personal Information
- Check the box the Taxpayer can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return
If this is not done:
- Your return will be rejected if someone has claimed you and you did not indicate it.
- The taxpayer claiming you will have their return rejected if you file with out making this indication.
When being claimed as a dependent on another tax return, your standard deduction is limited as well as the Earned Income Credit and the Education Credit.