What does this rejection code mean?
The IRS is stating that a Dependent on your return has already been claimed as a Dependent on someone else's return.
Which dependent is the rejection for?
To determine which dependent the rejection is referring to, select "Click Here for tax Return Details" on the My Account screen. The last four digits of the social security number will be listed.
Who claimed my dependent?
We do not have any information on who claimed the dependent. Only the IRS would know that information.
Can I call someone about the issue?
You can contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. Generally, they are not permitted to release that type of information over the phone and will direct you to paper file the return.
How do I fix my return?
You have two options for correcting the return, remove the dependent from the return if you are not able to claim them or print and mail the return.
- To remove the Dependent from your return, go to:
- Basic Information
- Dependents/Qualifying Person
- Delete next to the dependent in question.
- Resubmit your return through the E-file process on the navigation bar. Check back over the next 24 - 48 hours to be certain that your return has been accepted.
- If you have confirmed that you are eligible to claim the Dependent whose social security number is entered in the program and you believe that an error has been made, print and mail the return to the IRS.
- To print your return from within your account, please click here. Once printed, sign and date the return to avoid processing delays.
- Include a letter explaining the issue with your return discrepancy.