To correct a rejected return, you must understand what the return was rejected for. Follow these steps to review and understand the reason for the reject.
- Log in to your account.
- Select the My Account option on the left hand menu.
- Click the "How to Fix?" link to open a screen that will give you the option to view the explanation of the reject code(s).
Correcting the return
After reading the information on why the return was rejected, and how to make the corrections, go back into the return to make your corrections. Complete any necessary changes and be sure to click Continue when changing a form or entry.
Filing the corrected return
To resubmit your return after making the necessary corrections take the following steps:
- Click on E-File.
- Confirm your selections or make any changes to your banking information, tax return signature or Credit Card information, if necessary.
- Resubmit your Federal (and State if applicable) return.
- Complete the Electronic Filing process until you receive the confirmation that "You have successfully e-filed" and we have received your submission.
If you filed a Federal and State return together and your federal return was rejected, please make sure to resubmit BOTH returns. When the IRS rejects the federal return, they do not forward the state return for processing.
Once you resubmit your return to the IRS (or State Taxing Authority) you will receive a confirmation of acceptance if the reject code was corrected. You will not be charged to re-send your return.
Articles to assist you with correcting the most frequent federal rejection codes can be found here.