You can purchase U.S. Savings Bonds using your anticipated Federal refund for yourself or another individual.
Where is this in the program?
This option is located during the E-file process but will only be available to you if you are expecting to receive a refund of $50 or more. You will have the option to purchase up to three (3) U.S. Savings Bonds in increments of $50 to $5,000. However, you cannot exceed your refund amount.
When you are ready to submit your Federal return for processing:
- Select "E-file" located on the left side navigation bar
- Continue through the E-file process until you arrive at the page asking "Are you interested in investing your refund?"
- Select, "Yes" if you would like to use a portion of your refund to purchase up to three savings bonds for yourself or someone else.
- Complete the information on the page as it pertains to your purchase of the U.S. Savings Bonds click "Continue" to save the information.
- Once the necessary information has been provided, please continue through the E-file process until you have successfully E-filed your return.
How do I get my bonds?
The bonds will be issued in the names you have requested and mailed to you.
How long does it take to get my bonds?
Your savings bonds are ordered after the IRS completes processing your tax return. Once ordered, the IRS indicates it may take up to three weeks for your savings bonds to arrive in the mail. If you're having a portion of your refund deposited directly into your bank account, you may receive your refund before your savings bonds arrive by mail.
What if I don't get my bonds?
Your bonds won’t be issued if any of the following apply:
- The bond request isn’t a multiple of $50.
- Your refund is decreased because of a math error.
- You enter more than one name on line 5b, 5c, 6b, or 6c.
- Your refund is offset for any reason. Instead, your refund will be sent to you in the form of a check.
If you have determined that the IRS processed your refund and placed the order for your bonds, you can contact the Treasury Retail Securities site at 844-284-2676 to inquire about the status of your bonds.
For additional information pertaining to the allocation of your refund to purchase U.S. Savings Bonds, please click here.
You may also view the IRS information here.