Homestead Declaration - Form HS-122
THE HOMESTEAD DECLARATION must be filed each year by Vermont residents for purposes of the state education tax rate. The Declaration identifies the property as the homestead of the Vermont resident. A Vermont homestead is taxed at the homestead education property tax rate, while a different education property tax rate applies to non-homestead property.
When a portion of the property is the homestead and a portion is used for business purposes or rented, the following rules apply for reporting the use on Form HS-122, Homestead Declaration:
- Business Use: If no part of the homestead is used for business or the business use is 25% or less of the homestead, the entire property is taxed at the homestead education property tax rate. More than 25% business use of the homestead - enter the appropriate percentage. The business use is the same as reported on your Federal income tax return.
- Rental Use: The portion of your home that you rent to another person is not part of your home and is taxed at the nonresidential education rate. All rental use must be reported. There is no 25% allowance for rentals. The rental use percentage is the same as reported on your Federal income tax return.
Property Tax Adjustment Claim - Form HS-122W
Eligibility - A homeowner eligible for an adjustment is one who:
- The property must be declared as your homestead.
- You were domiciled in Vermont for the entire 2021 calendar year.
- You were not claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer for the 2021 tax year
- You meet the household income criteria of $136,900 or less.
- On or before April 15, 2022 is a timely filed Form HS-122.
- Between April 16 and October 17, 2022 is a late filed Form HS-122 will have a penalty for late filing.
- After October 17, 2022, the filing of Form HS-122 cannot be accepted.
Note: There is no extension of time to file Form HS-122
For additional information pertaining to either the Homestead Declaration (Form HS-122) or Property Tax Adjustment Claim (HS-122W), please click here.
To enter the Homestead Declaration or Property Tax Adjustment Claim within your account, follow the steps below:
- State Section
- Homestead Declaration AND Property Tax Adjustment Claim (HS-122) And Renter Rebate Claim (PR-141)