Please Note: The alternative motor vehicle credit has been extended to cover vehicles purchased in tax years 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.
Only Partnerships and S Corps should use the 2019 Form 8910 to claim any alternative motor vehicle credit they receive from a fiscal year partnership or S Corp whose tax year began in 2018 (when the credit was still available to them) and ended in their 2019 tax year. The entity will issue you a K-1 with amounts in Box 15 (Code P) for form 1065 or Box 13 (code P) for form 1120-S.
You may be able to claim this credit on your 2018 return, if you purchased the vehicle in 2017 AND placed the vehicle in-service during the 2018 tax year.
The following requirements must be met to qualify for the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit:
- You must own a Qualifying Alternative Motor Vehicle (vehicle must be purchased before 2017);
- You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit;
- You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year;
- The original use of the vehicle began with you;
- You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale; AND
- You use the vehicle primarily in the United States.