Please Note: This credit is no longer available for individual returns, starting in the 2019 tax year.
You may be able to claim this credit on your 2018 return, if you purchased the vehicle in 2017 AND placed the vehicle in-service during the 2018 tax year.
The following requirements must be met to qualify for the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit:
- You must own a Qualifying Alternative Motor Vehicle (vehicle must be purchased before 2017);
- You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit;
- You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year;
- The original use of the vehicle began with you;
- You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale; AND
- You use the vehicle primarily in the United States.