Generally, the issuer of the 1099-R will have an amount listed in Box 2a for the taxable amount. If no amount is listed, you will need to determine the amount yourself.
- If this is a Roth Distribution that has been held for 5 or more years and you are withdrawing the contributions only, enter $0 for Box 2a.
- If you made nondeductible contributions to a Traditional IRA and are withdrawing only the contributions and not any earnings, enter $0 for box 2a.
- If you had a direct rollover from a qualified plan to another qualified plan for the entire distribution, enter $0 for box 2a.
- If you are a Public Safety Officer, click the 'Click here for options' link to complete the worksheet to calculate the taxable portion.
- If none of these apply, you may qualify to use the Simplified Method (click link for qualifications). Select the 'Click here for options' link to complete the Simplified Method Worksheet to calculate the taxable portion.