Montana has announced that they will be issuing income tax rebates in 2023. These rebates come as a result of your 2021 Montana state tax return.
Do I qualify for the rebate?
Taxpayers are eligible for the individual income tax rebate if:
- You were a resident of Montana for all of the 2021 tax year;
- You filed a 2020 Montana resident or part-year resident return;
- You filed a 2021 Montana resident tax return;
- You filed your 2020 and 2021 Montana tax returns by the due date for tax year 2021 (including extensions);
- You weren’t claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer for federal or Montana income tax purposes in 2021; and
- Line 20 of your 2021 Montana Form 2 has an amount greater than zero.
How much is the rebate?
If you filed as single, head of household, or married filing separately, the rebate will be either $1,250 or the amount on line 20 of your 2021 Form 2, whichever is less.
Married filing jointly taxpayers’ rebates will be $2,500 or the line 20 amount, whichever is less.
How do I claim the rebate?
The rebates will be sent to eligible taxpayers automatically by the Montana Department of Revenue. However, you can track the status of your income tax rebate by using the Where's My Rebate tool.
When will I receive the rebate?
Montana has stated that they will begin disbursing the individual income tax rebates in July 2023. The rebates will be issued in the order that 2021 returns were filed. All rebates will be issued by December 31, 2023.
How will I receive the rebate?
The rebate will be issued based on your most recently filed Montana state tax return. The rebates will either be direct deposited or mailed to the address on your most recent return.